Friday, June 5, 2020

Bugs Everywhere!


Bugs Everywhere 
by Lily Murray; illus. by Britta Teckentrup
32 pages; ages 6 - 9
Big Picture Press (Candlewick) 2020

theme: bugs, nature, observation

The world is alive with bugs. There are millions of different species. In fact, there are so many that no one knows the exact number.

After explaining what arthropods are, author Lily Murray describes where they live, what they eat, and some of their survival tricks. She highlights honeybees as an example of social insects, and Madagascan sunset moths as a migratory species. There’s a fun spread about bug parents, and one about bugs and people.

What I like about this book: I love the illustrations! Britta Teckentrup is a fine artist with a fine eye for arthropod detail – down to the jointed appendages. I also like the challenges to readers: find the tortoise beetle hiding somewhere in the book; find the wasps raiding the beehive. I like that there is an entire spread about the evolution of arthropods – they’ve been around for ages! And I really like that the last page highlights the importance of bugs in the ecosystem, and what we can do to help protect them.



Beyond the Books:

Go on a Bug Safari. All you need is a camera (for capturing bugs of all types) or a sketchbook. Your mission: find as many different types of arthropods as you can.
Note how many legs they have (they need 6 or more).
Look at their colors and patterns. Do they blend in or stand out?
What sort of place do you find them – in water? in grass? under stones?
How do they move?

Follow a bug. If you find a beetle or a spider – or even a bumble bee – off on a journey, follow along (but not too close). Where do they go? What are they doing?

Listen to the sounds bugs make. Here are some recordings to get you started.

Today we're joining Perfect Picture Book Friday, an event where bloggers share great picture books at Susanna Leonard Hill's website. Review copy provided by the publisher.

7 comments:

  1. During my childhood, my mother and I took many walks through the forest surrounding our home. My mom had an eye for seeing the tiniest, most amazing treasures, like walking sticks and coccoons. I love the illustrations in 'Bugs Everywhere,' and have added it to my list. Thank you for sharing such a lovely book today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks lovely. Can't wait to get my hands on it and take a closer look. Did you see the May 2020 National Geographic? All about the disappearing insects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a terrific book. Unfortunately my library doesn't have it nor are they taking recommendations for purchase right now. I will ask them to get it as soon as they are back on line. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover photo of all the different types of ladybugs! I was surprised a few years ago, when researching, to discover just how varied this beattle actually is. Sounds like a great book. Added to my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover really pops, doesn't it? And I love the geometry of the bees in the second illustration. Will add this to my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids love bugs of all sorts, so this would be a winner with my grandson. And, I love how the books help kids understand the importance of bugs to our ecosystem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting book I know kids will love pouring over the pages. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete