This is the time of year I see a lot of spiderwebs. They're stretched between plants, fence wires, bridge railings - pretty much anywhere a spider can find a good hunting place. I've found that the best time to see them is early morning, when dew is still clinging to the threads.
This week head out on a spiderweb survey.
- Where do you find spiderwebs?
- How big are the webs you find?
- How far are they from other webs?
- Can you find the spiders?
- If you can, watch a web over a day. What do you notice?
- Does the spider move her web each day?