Earlier in the season, the disk flowers were full of pollen and the flower was busy with bees. Now that activity is over, and each of those flowers is growing into a fat seed. Goldfinches and chipmunks are already busy harvesting yummy sunflower seeds - I have to be quick to harvest some to plant next year.
As you walk around your garden or your neighborhood, pay attention to the flower "elders". Sunflowers, poppies, lupines, and roses are good flowers to observe.
- What sorts of things do you notice?
- What happens to their petals?
- Do they form seedpods or fruit?
- Do you see any animals eating the seeds or fruit?
- Or do the seeds travel to other places?