Wednesday, August 31, 2022
Monday, August 29, 2022
Friday, August 26, 2022
Wednesday, August 24, 2022
Monday, August 22, 2022
Friday, August 19, 2022
Wednesday, August 17, 2022
So this week let's take a closer look at thistles you find in your neighborhood. They're opportunistic, so you'll probably find them growing in "weedy areas" or along roadsides, old fields, or (in my case) the un-mowed back bit of the yard.
- What color is your thistle? And does it have a fragrance?
- What does the flower feel like?
- Where do you find spines and prickles on your thistle?
- How long are the spines?
- What insects do you find on the thistle flower?
- Are there any insects on the leaves or stem?
- What kind of seeds do thistles produce?
- Dig one up. What sort of root does it have? (you may want to wear thick gloves for this!)
Monday, August 15, 2022
Friday, August 12, 2022
Wednesday, August 10, 2022
There are so many things to see on trees: leaves, insects, bark, and lichens! The thing I like about lichens - aside from the fact that they are funky fungi - is the diversity of textures. You can touch them gently and feel that some are bumpy and crusty, some are bristly, and some are smooth and leafy.
This week take a closer peek at the trees in your neighborhood. Do they have lichens growing on their bark? If so:
- What kinds of lichens do you see? Write notes or draw them in your nature notebook.
- What colors are the lichens?
- How would you describe their texture?
- Are there two (or more) kinds growing together?
- Take a closer look with a hand lens or magnifying glass.
- What do you suppose ants think about as they walk through a lichen patch?
Monday, August 8, 2022
|by Marla Coppolino|
Friday, August 5, 2022
Wednesday, August 3, 2022
- Does the air feel different compared to later in the day? How?
- Do bird calls, cars, and other noises sound different?
- Does early morning smell different than your normal get-out-and-explore time?
- Can you see the moon, or planets?
- What do you discover first thing in the morning?
Monday, August 1, 2022
|Laura and Tivy|