Friday, July 30, 2021

Finding the Meaning of "Frogness"

 

Frogness 
by Sarah Nelson; illus. by Eugenie Fernandes 
32 pages; ages 3-7
‎Owlkids, 2021   

theme: frogs, nature, imagination

Just before dusk, rain clouds bloom way out over the sea. We wait.

Sammy and Chocolate (a puppy) are waiting for the frogs to sing. They hike way out to the marsh because This is the night they will Catch A Frog! They hear them everywhere – but there are no frogs in the reeds and no frogs under a log.

What I like about this book: I love – really love – the page that has the frog songs spelled out in huge letters (while the kid and dog fall asleep). Because I also know how hard it is to find singing frogs near a pond, in the weeds, and along a creekbank. It takes two to triangulate, and even then you might never see those sneaky, noisy frogs. The illustrations are marvelous, and the idea of “frogness” just pulls me in. 


And there is … Back Matter! About frogs – how many, what their calls sound like, and how they sing, croak, rattle, peep, trill, trummm, and chuckle. Cool facts, too. Did you know that a species can have a slightly different call depending on where they live? Frogs have accents!

Beyond the Books:

Get to know your frog calls! Listen to the frogs in and around your neighborhood - they don't all live in ponds. Here are some recordings of frogs and toads that live in Indiana - but some may live in your area, too. 

Discover a Fun Frog Fact. Author Sarah Nelson has a whole list of fun frog facts, and lots of "frogness" over at her website.

Play leap frog - or, better yet, create your own frog game. It can be a card game or a board game - or an action game. One idea: cut some lily pads out of green paper and tape them onto the floor. Then hop from one lily pad to the next. Have fun making your own frogness!

We’ll join Perfect Picture Book Friday once they resume. It’s a wonderful gathering where bloggers share great picture books at Susanna Leonard Hill's website. Review copy provided by the publisher.

9 comments:

  1. This book sounds like so much fun, and I can imagine kids will enjoy reading it and will be inspired to start their own frog-hunting adventures! I love the idea of cutting lily pads out of paper and hopping from one to the other too. Also, is it just me, or is every picture book exactly 32 pages? There really is very little variation there. Thanks so much for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some much needed rain over last weekend and during a hike a local park, there were tiny frogs hopping everywhere. It was so fun, yet unexpected to see them in the desert.

    I miss the songs of the spring peepers you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never hunted frogs, but I sure loved to listen to them at night. Thanks for telling me about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love listening to our tree frogs. Especially when they get into a gutter and sound like they're 50 ft. tall! Great title. I look forward to reading this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our swimming pool attracts a variety of frogs that I have to remove. That gives me a chance to look at them up close! (but they usually aren't singing to me)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love listening to peepers. What adorable illustrations for this cool text.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a grandson that loves to study frogs. They really are quite interesting. This book will be a perfect choice for him. Thanks for recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow! Frogs with accents! I have to see this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete