Friday, March 13, 2020

Get Ready for Nesting Time!

Spring is on its way, and that means songbirds will be winging their way back to their favorite nest-building sites. To celebrate that, I'm sharing Randi's newly-hatched book:

The Nest That Wren Built  
by Randi Sonenshine; illus. by Anne Hunter
32 pages; ages 4 - 8
Candlewick, 2020

theme: birds, animal families, homes

These are the twigs, dried in the sun, that Papa collected one by one to cradle the nest that Wren built.

Page-by-page, verse-by-verse we watch Wren and her mate make their nest from things found in the forest. Twigs, moss, feathers, thread – all used to make the nest. And then… there are eggs and, soon, a family safely together in the homey nest.

What I like love about this book: The text is rhythmic, patterned on “The House that Jack Built” and fun to read. It’s clear that author, Randi Sonenshine has closely studied what goes into a wren nest, and reveals each treasure in such a delightful way.  Anne Hunter’s ink-and-colored pencil illustrations bring softness and warmth to each page.



And there is Back Matter! Wren facts for curious readers and a brief glossary that clarifies words used in the text – perfect for kids who want to know the difference between a hatchling, a nestling, and a fledgling.

Does Randi love wrens? I caught up with her the other week to ask her that Exact Question!

Randi: As you can probably guess, I love birds! They are such fascinating, entertaining creatures. I love photographing them, listening to them, and watching all their avian drama unfold at my feeder and in my yard. I hate to say I have favorites, but, alas, I do! Carolina wrens have captured my heart. They are tiny, but sassy, smart, and steady; they are always nearby. Even if I don't see them, I hear them... singing, scolding, and sometimes warning each other.

One spring, a pair of them built a nest inside a bike helmet in my garage. Later that season, they built one inside a cloth grocery bag on a shelf in the garage. This astounded me. Later, when I looked at the abandoned nests, I was intrigued and impressed by the ingenious design and the assortment of nesting materials they used, so I started to research (a little obsessively, actually!). I discovered the most amazing details in my research, particularly the scientific facts and theories regarding their choice of nesting materials. I knew this had to be a subject of a picture book, but I wasn't sure how to frame it. Then one morning I woke up with the title in my head, and that was it!

Beyond the Books:

Get to know the wrens who live in your neighborhood. What they lack in size and flashiness, they make up for with their big personalities. Check out this article by Audubon, and this page from Cornell.

Listen for wren calls. Here’s a house wren, and here’s a Carolina wren.

If you were a bird, what kind of nest would you build? Collect some materials and build a nest.

Want to help nesting birds? Here’s how.

Randi Sonenshine is a member of #STEAMTeam2020. You can find out more about her at her website.

Today we're joining Perfect Picture Book Friday, an event where bloggers share great picture books at Susanna Leonard Hill's website. Review copy provided by the publisher.


18 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely captivated by the tenderness of the illustrations! The pictures you shared from this sweet book are reminiscent of some of my childhood picture books that my grandmother sent to me from Germany. I'm looking forward to enjoying this book. Thank you for sharing it today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie. I love that about the illustrations, too. They are warm and endearing. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  2. I, too, love seeing what birds use as materials, but I don't know anything about the science behind it. I've got this one on hold. It's on order, so when it comes in, I'll be first in line. Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jilanne. The science of nest building is so fascinating, and each species of bird has its own built in blueprint for the design and materials. Amazing stuff! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This is a great book! The muted colors are enticing and make you feel part of their world. That Randi got so much factual information Randi into her two lines in amazing. A really useful STEM book. Thanks for reviewing it Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That was probably the most challenging part of writing the book. I wanted to include a lot of the science, but without seeming like a reference book or field guide. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  4. I have this on order at my local library and can't wait to see it. I just love that cover! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy reading the book in its entirety, Rosi. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED hearing some backstory to this book. I have had it and the verses just slide easily of the pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joanna! I'm glad you enjoyed the book and the blog post. That's so nice to hear! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my, the illustrations are beautiful and will appeal to many kids who are interested in birds building nests. I love the author's story about what inspired her to write this book! Beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! I love the way Anne Hunter kept the illustrations accurate, but endearing and engaging for readers, young and old. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! :)

      Delete
  8. Great interview and review, Sue. Randi, so excited to see more of this lovely book. Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, my staff pick at the bookstore this month with no one allowed to come in and see it. At least our store has sent out our picks in an email!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, Julie! That's so wonderful to hear. I know it's disappointing and sad not to have your store full of eager readers, but I'm glad they can keep up with you virtually! Thanks so much for choosing it for your monthly pick and also for taking the time to read this post and comment! :)

      Delete